There are a number of home remedies for snoring that are proven to be effective in reducing or curing snoring.
You’re not alone if you snore. It’s a common problem for both men and women and causes sleep problems for many people. The occurrence of snoring increases with age. If you want to help yourself, your partner, or another loved one to stop snoring for good, read on!
Prevent the soft palate from collapsing during sleep
Perhaps the simplest snoring home remedy of all is elevating the head with an extra pillow or by raising the head of the bed a few inches which can help prevent the soft palate from collapsing during sleep.
Tip! Many snorers have tried sleeping while propped up at an angle on multiple pillows to open their airways and have success.
The snoreless anti snoring pillow supports and positions the head and neck to improve alignment. It is designed with a reinforced head and neck roll causing the throat to open the airway passage.
Tip! Don’t sleep on your back. Back sleeping causes your jaw to fall backwards, allowing your throat to collapse.
Over sixty percent of snorers only snore when sleeping on their back so this is one of the first remedies to try.
7 Lifestyle Changes
Some of the easiest and most common home remedies for snoring involve lifestyle changes like avoiding alcohol before bed, avoiding tranquilizers, losing weight and stopping smoking.
1. Avoid sleeping with a full stomach
Don’t eat or drink alcohol close to bedtime. If you snore, make sure that you eat enough for breakfast and lunch each day. If you have had two hearty meals, you will be able to eat a light dinner. By avoiding sleeping with a full stomach you will breathe easier, and be less likely to snore.
2. Avoid eating foods that are rich in fat or salt.
3. Alcohol is a major contributor to snoring, especially loud snoring. It can cause the muscles in the throat to relax during sleep and therefore block the airways and restrict the passage of air to the lungs.
4. Tip! A decrease in snoring is just one more reason to quit smoking. If you absolutely can’t quit, then stop smoking for a few hours before bedtime.
5. Anyone who is overweight should consider losing weight if possible. Fatty deposits that settle in the throat can contribute to snoring. A healthy diet will not only improve general health, it helps to stop or lessening snoring.
6. Blow your nose and use a simple saline spray in your nose before hitting the sack. If you clear your airway and keep it hydrated, it will help you breathe easier during bedtime. You will also be less likely to breathe through your mouth if your nose is not as congested.
7. Avoid sleeping pills and tranquilizers if you are trying to stop snoring.
Both substances depress your central nervous system and cause your throat muscles to relax, leading to snoring. Worse, using them can lead to the development of sleep apnea, which increases your risk of heart disease. All in all, there are much better ways to get a good night’s sleep than using alcohol or sleeping pills.
8. To prevent snoring, allergy sufferers should avoid taking antihistamines before bed. They can make you drowsy and relax your airways, increasing the chances of snoring at night. If you take prescribed medications such as these, be sure to take your required dose an hour or more before going to bed.
Tip! Honey is a quick way to relieve your snoring. Research has shown that eating a small amount of honey can be an effective way to clear airways, which helps reduce snoring.
Avoid Dairy Products before bed
Dairy products could be the root of your snoring problem. Even though you may not be lactose intolerant, these products can be a very common cause for snoring. Dairy products make the body produce more phlegm. Sometimes eating dairy products causes mucus to accumulate in your throat.
If you eat dairy products before bed, try refraining from doing so for 7-10 days and note any improvement. You can still have dairy products, just eat them during breakfast or lunch instead.
Strengthen the throat and palate with exercises
Perhaps one of the most practical and effective home remedies for snoring is exercise to strengthen the throat and palate.
CLICK HERE To Try Stop Snoring Exercises
One such exercise that can help is to keep the top of the tongue pressed against the palate while sucking back hard on the back of the tongue.
It is worthwhile experimenting with this anti-snoring exercise until you get it right and soon you should feel the palate begin to strain and tighten. This stop snoring exercise should be practiced several times a day to strengthen the muscles in the soft palate and throat. Read our review of the stop snoring exercise program to find out how it can help you.
Another home remedy for snoring is ear plugs. This is not so much a remedy for the snorer … but it often be helpful in allowing the snorer’s bed partner to get a good night’s sleep.